Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the benefits of installing solar panels for my home/office/ factory?
The benefits of going solar are:
- By installing a solar energy system, you save on your electricity bills; up to 100% savings are possible. During the day you power you premises using solar energy which lowers your dependency on your utility company and if you produce more than you consume, you can sell the excess energy back to your utility company via Net Metering (NEM) that may be used to offset part of electricity bill (http://seda.gov.my/ )
- Installing solar panels increases your property value. Studies have shown that properties with solar panels are valued and sold at a price higher than other comparable properties in its general vicinity.
- Solar energy is a form of clean renewable energy like wind, which significantly helps lessen your carbon footprint on the environment. It does not pollute the atmosphere with harmful greenhouse gas emissions, unlike traditional electricity which is sourced from fossil fuels such as coal, natural gas & diesel. They emit harmful gases causing air pollution and global climate change.
- Since solar energy is a renewable energy, it requires little to no maintenance. Once you have installed them, there is no need for regular maintenance checks. It allows you to generate solar power for a lifetime, without having to depend on your utility company and to deal with the constantly rising electricity rates. Your future generation may also benefit from it.
- Companies undertaking generation of renewable energy and energy efficiency activities are eligible for special tax incentives ; Investment Tax Allowance (ITA) (http://www.seda.gov.my ) (http://www.mida.gov.my/home/tax-incentives-for-green-industry/posts/)
- Home owners in Petaling Jaya can enjoy Assessment Tax Rebates for adapting to eco living and sustainable lifestyle (http://eps.mbpj.gov.my/web2016/RebatCukai2016English.pdf)
2. How much would it cost to install solar panels for my home/office/factory?
The cost would depend on our power study and space on the roof
3. What is net metering?
Net metering is when you have a solar system installed, and during the day when the sun is out it will power your home, and when the sun sets the home gathers its electricity from the main power grid.
4. I heard that we can earn money by installing solar panels, how is that?
How the earnings work are by savings, so the more solar energy used, the less is used from the main power companies, hence saving you from having to pay them for electricity. On top of that, whatever excess energy is produced, it is sold to the main power companies for 31cents perKW. This will be used to offset your next TNB bill.
5. Are there any hidden cost?
There are no hidden charges. All our charges will be presented transparently on the proposal we make for you. Any possible charges for processing commercial tax incentives and if special requirements is needed for the installation will be clearly stated and explained before you agree to the installation.
6. How much can you save by installing solar panels?
Savings vary based on your electricity consumption and installation size. On average you can save anywhere between 20%-40%.
7. How long is the warranty period?
Panels have a performance warranty of 25 years and a physical warranty of 10 years. Our inverters have 5 years warranty on them (option to extend), and 2 years on the wiring.
8. Does your warranty period cover damages caused by lightning and strong wind?
Our system comes with lightning protection so, we only cover damages that are caused by manufacturing defect.
9. What is a power study?
A power study is when we go to the interested client premises; install our energy monitoring device to the DB box for 24 hours to get an hourly reading of the client’s electricity consumption and at the same time perform an aerial measurement of all roof spaces, identify any shading issues caused by nearby trees or obstruction. This process is essential to ensure that we are able to propose a suitable solution that is specific and targeted at our clients energy needs.
10. What happens if I sell my place/factory/office?
The panels can be removed and re installed elsewhere or you can sell them to the new owner. Upon changing address or ownership, a new contract must be signed with us. You will need to inform us of any changes in address or / and ownership.
11. After signing the proposal, how long would it take for me to start enjoying the benefits of solar panels and net metering?
Upon signing of the proposal, it can take anywhere between 6 to 12 weeks, as we will need to obtain approval from TNB and SEDA. If you wish to have a pure self-consumption model, no approval is needed for for up to 72KW. This can be completed within 3 - 6 weeks depending on the size of the installation.
12. Do you have any financing and payment options?
Currently we do not have any financing options. For our payment terms, please refer to our sales team representatives for more information.
13. Can we pay by credit card?
Yes, you can. Other payment options include via bank transfer to SOLS energy account or Cheque.
14. Your Technical Team had proposed a 4KwP installation based on my electricity consumption; can I install an 8KwP so that I >can sell more surplus energy and earn more money?
This is possible, but we would advise against it as it would increase the ROI (Return on Investment), also if your excess energy sold back to the power company covers all your outstanding amount. Then whatever else that’s left over in the account only has a validity of 24 months since production.
15. Is there an expiry period over the unused surplus energy that has been generated?
Yes the surplus lasts for 24 months from production, after which it will be forfeited.
16. I’m interested in installing solar panels for my home, how can I apply?
Visit our get.solsenergy.com and fill in the application for a free power study.
17. How long is a power study?
The power study itself takes below an hour, but the device will be left in for 24 hours. We will come over to your premise the next day to collect the device.
18. What happens if it rains and it’s cloudy, will my solar panel generate sufficient electricity?
Yes it will, although the amount of energy produced is less than on the days with full sunlight. However the system works more efficiently in cooler conditions since Photovoltaic panels rely on visible sunlight and not heat for energy production.
19. How long should I wait to recover my investment and see real profits?
The average Return On Investment is between 6 years for residential and 4 years for commercial. After which you will enjoy clean returns.
20. Do you cover installation for the whole of Malaysia?
At the moment we cover installations for both commercial and industrial premises throughout Malaysia, but for residential properties, we cater for Kuala Lumpur, Selangor and Negeri Sembilan.
21. Can I use these panels used for water heater installations?
No, these panels are different, they are called Photovoltaic Panels (PV) which converts solar light (sunshine) to electricity, while a thermal solar panel, typically converts solar light to heat (hot water).
22. Why should we buy solar panels from your company and not from other retailers in the market?
We have a direct line with the manufacturers and also our own EL Tester ( Solar panel testing machine. The only Installer in Malaysia to do so). This helps speed up the turnaround time in the event of a defect with the panels during the warranty period. The quick turnaround time is made possible since we are able to test and send the defective panels back to the manufacturers with precise information for immediate replacement.
23. Can you give me a quotation without having to come over to do power study?
No we can’t. We would need to perform a power study on a few variables such your electricity consumption, wiring requirements, roof layout, etc, before we could give you a quotation.
24. What is the modal of your panel and inverter?
Our panels are from Canadian Solar while for our inverters we use are Fronius.
25. What is the annual maintenance cost and is it included in the offer?
The cost will be included in project proposal, it is however optional. For the 1st year, the maintenance is free of charge with 2 site visits per year done every 6 months. On the second year onwards, we charge RM 150 for remote monitoring Annually and RM 200 for each on demand site visit.
26. Can I choose to increase the size of my solar panel system after a few year of installation?
Yes you can upgrade your solar panel system, but this will depend of the availability of your roof space and the size of your inverter.
27. The initial upfront cost of installation is too high, can I wait for the prices to go lower within the next few years so it will be cheaper?
The prices for solar panels are not projected to go much lower in the years to come. Besides cost of panels, direct material cost such as labour, Inverters and electrical components may affect prices. Also with the constant increase of electricity tariffs, you may lose out potential savings.